Re: Doc of keyboard macros

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Doc of keyboard macros
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 18:21:40 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:47:55 -0400
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/44918 points out that `C-x (`
> and `C-x e` are not very visible in the doc, while F3 and F4 may be
> difficult to reach on Apple's machines (and I just saw that they are
> also difficult to reach on my Debian machine for some reason).
> So I suggest making the "old" keyboard macro bindings a bit more
> prominent in the doc (I also happen to prefer them over F3 and F4,
> because of their mnemonic value).
>
> Any objection to the patch below for emacs-26?

No real objection, but:

  . You are breaking the manual's style when describing commands: we
    always start with a list of the commands with short descriptions,
    and follow that by the detailed descriptions.

  . I don't understand the rationale for removing the "C-u" and
    "C-u C-u" sequences from the short list.  What is the purpose of
    that?