Running process filters in another thread

From: yyoncho
Subject: Running process filters in another thread
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 21:21:23 +0300

Hi all,

I want to raise this topic regarding the rise of Language servers and the performance
problems that are related to parsing process output on UI thread.

I am not familiar with emacs internals and I am not sure whether this is doable
but I wonder whether providing the option to do the parsing(and probably more?)
in a separate thread and then call the *filter* function on emacs side in UI
thread with elisp data structures like lists, hashmaps etc. instead of raw
string is feasible which would be similar to what is happening in _javascript_ world.

I want to mention that the alternative approach is to create JSON-RPC specific process e.
g. provide make-json-rpc-process which does what I have described above.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed in the past, I was unable to find
something on the topic and please correct me if there is a way to move the parsing
outside out UI thread.

Thanks,
Ivan