RE: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 01:13:24 +0000 (UTC)

> > The right approach is to let Lisp tell you about its syntax... we should
> > _let
> Lisp judge_
>
> This seems to be assuming that there is something out there called "Lisp" that
> tells us what to do. That's entirely backwards. Lisp is our servant, not our
> master. Lisp syntax should be whatever the best syntax we can come up with,
> to help us and our users do our work, and this should be the way we think and
> write about it.

Such characters have symbol syntax in Lisp (Elisp, for instance).
That's the Lisp syntax in question. Lisp doesn't require you to
escape them in symbols. Hasn't done so before and shouldn't
do so now (IMHO).

Yes, we have liberty to change Lisp, including Lisp syntax, in
any number of ways. That doesn't mean that we should.