Re: Still about frame title case [Windows]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Still about frame title case [Windows]
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 14:59:46 +0200

> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 10:23:07 +0100 (CET)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> More than an year ago we discussed about this
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-05/msg00212.html)

Doesn't the solution/workaround I proposed in

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-05/msg00235.html

work for you?

> but now I notice a strange thing I want to report.
>
> When one manages packages (Options - Manage Emacs Packages), after it has
> updates the packages list [*], on the frame, near the Emacs icon, the string
> "address@hidden" changes in "address@hidden", i.e. it respects the PC name
> case (what occurs on other GNU/Linux, for example).
>
> When the Packages buffer is closed, that string remains to "address@hidden"
> and return to "address@hidden" only if one restarts Emacs...
>
> Maybe the strategy adopted by "Options - Manage Emacs Packages" could be used
> elsewhere so that also on Windows Emacs has the same behavior it has on other
> systems.

There's nothing strange here: package.el connects to the ELPA
repositories, so it initializes Winsock, after which the call to
system-name will returns the name of your system in its original
letter-case.  If you for some reason don't like the original proposal
I made back then, you could do in your .emacs something similar to
what package.el does: call some function that connects to some net
address (perhaps even localhost will do), then call system-name.  The
effect will be the same as the solution/workaround I proposed back
then, because all that's needed is to do something that forces Emacs
to initialize Winsock.  The underlying problem is that normally Emacs
calls system-name for the first time before Winsock is initialized, so
gethostname cannot yet be called.