Re: Licensing for source code contained in Emacs manuals

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Licensing for source code contained in Emacs manuals
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:35:58 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Would it be appropriate to extend the documentation to explicitly permit
> reuse of the sample code in the Emacs flymake manual, or all Emacs manuals,
> under the same license as Emacs itself?  That is, sample code could be used
> under the GFDL*or*  the GPLv3 (at this time).

I'm sure that could be fine. Alternatively, and without needing any special
rules about this, the distribution could contain a separate copy of the code in
question in standard source-code form, licensed under the GPL. The documentation
could explain that the code itself is also available outside the documentation
and that it is GPLed there. As a user, I'd prefer that to cutting and pasting
out of the documentation.

My plan, then, is to give the FSF licensing folks a chance to speak up, and then submit a patch that will adjust the licensing text used for the various manuals appropriately.   I think that, while additional files absolutely make sense, ensuring accurate documentation when future manual authors forget that extra step will be beneficial to all. :)