Re: [found the culprit] (was: [emacs -q versus empty .emacs file])

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [found the culprit] (was: [emacs -q versus empty .emacs file])
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:37:53 +0200

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:17:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> `Z' should be its own inverse.

It is.  But there's a problem with "compressing" directories: Emacs
26.1 introduced an ambiguity, because 'Z' on a directory produces a
.tar.gz archive out of its files, but 'Z' on a .tar.gz file can either
uncompress to produce a .tar file or unpack all the files into a
directory.

> It's fine to have another key that unpacks a tar, or
> even another key that both uncompresses and unpacks.

Then someone will complain that 'Z' on a directory is not its own
inverse.

> BTW, I don't see this change called out in NEWS for
> Emacs 26.  Is it there and I just missed it?

It wasn't announced, and the manual wasn't updated to say what 'Z'
does in a directory.  Shame on us.

>  Compress or uncompress marked (or next prefix argument) files.
>  A prefix argument ARG specifies files to use instead of marked.
>   An integer means use the next ARG files (previous -ARG, if < 0).
>   `C-u': Use the current file (whether or not any are marked).
>   `C-u C-u': Use all files in Dired, except directories.
>   `C-u C-u C-u': Use all files and directories, except `.' and `..'.
>   `C-u C-u C-u C-u': Use all files and all directories.

Is "C-u 0' available?