Re: Commit mistake?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Commit mistake?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 18:09:07 +0100

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 11:49:22 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> And also tell me how to avoid a possible reoccurrence of in future
>> commits?
>
> Hard to help if you don't give us at least a hint of what commands/UI
> you used to do the commit.  Did you use "git commit" on the command
> line, or Magit, or VC, or something yet different?

I used VC.  The file was listed in *vc-dir*, but it has been for ages
and was never a problem before.  But this time after I committed the
change the status of that file also changed to "up-to-date", which
suprised me but, unfortunately, didn't stop me from pressing `P' to push
the commit (since, again, that file had "always" been there but never
got into a previous commit).  I know I should have stopped to think, and
hopefully I will in future, but I wonder how that file became part of
the commit in the first place (again, I never knowingly touched it).

Steve Berman