Re: nsterm.m: How to prevent _inactive_ window update from overreaching.

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: Re: nsterm.m: How to prevent _inactive_ window update from overreaching.
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:52:17 -0800

Thank you, Alan, for the additional pointers regarding how this issue may
ultimately be resolved.  I will continue to think about and work on this in the
coming days.

Yes, all three features (multiple fake cursors, crosshairs, and visible fill
column) operate on the same principal.  There are similar functions for each
feature, with the only main difference being that multiple fake cursors look
for a particular buffer position when dumping the glyph matrix and looping
through each row, whereas crosshairs and visible fill column look for a
particular window relative X coordinate.

At this time, there is nothing fancy about multiple fake cursors -- i.e., Emacs
only looks for a buffer position and creates a fake cursor with the desired
cursor type and cursor color.  Magnar's Lisp library is still the only
mechanism I am aware of that does the magic.  Instead of placing a visible
overlay where fake cursors would ordinarily be created using Magnar's library,
there are a few modifications to his Lisp functions that are contained within
crosshairs.el.  From the list of fake cursor overlays created by Magnar's
library, Emacs gathers the list of buffer positions and then draws built-in
fake cursors that are within the confines of the visible windows.

Keith