Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 17:30:54 +0100

> the problem is not "the byte-compiler needs line
> numbers" but "the code that emits the warnings needs line numbers" and

If "the code that emits the warnings needs line numbers" and getting
that code right is hard, then why burden the byte compiler with it and
indirectly the code it produces?  And if we do insist on burdening the
byte compiler, then why don't we make that at least optional with the
help of some flags?

I do byte compile code to make Emacs run faster.  If I do not need
fast code, I run it interpreted.  But probably I'm missing something
all too obvious here.

martin