Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 18:27:37 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Without image scaling, modes that display images become pretty
>> worthless.
>
> I think that is an issue that will vary from person to person.

I think the modes that display images are pretty much unusable for
anybody that uses them if you don't have image scaling.  :-)

But if you don't use them, you won't care.

> Do you have an opinion of GraphicsMagick?
> It claims to be more stable and secure than ImageMagick.
> I guess that someone who knows the Emacs ImageMagick code could port it
> to GraphicsMagick fairly easily. (I don't, and didn't, bug#14358).

No, sorry, I don't know.

ImageMagick stability seems to have gotten a bit better the last few
years (in my experience).  I haven't had an ImageMagick-related segfault
in months now, and back in, say, 2014, it was a weekly occurrence.