Re: installed packages long description.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: installed packages long description.
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 21:40:01 -0500

>> The ELPA standard
>
> Where is this published/documented?

I think it's in "Preparing Lisp code for distribution" in the
Elisp manual.  And apparently it does document that it should be either
in the Commentary or in the README.

> from elpa/admin/archive-contents.el, that appears to be:
>
> (archive--get-section
>   "Commentary"
>   '("README" "README.rst" "README.org")
>   srcdir mainsrcfile)
>
> That code could be moved to package.el

Sounds good.

> Just document the code above. Markup could be handled by specifying
> "markdown", and looking for README.md. Or allow any markup for which
> there is an Emacs mode.

IIRC README.md doesn't work so well, because many package use it as
a kind of "homepage" on github, so its content doesn't work very well
in the context of package.el.

As for saying the README and/or Commentary: from now on is assumed to
use Markdown, that will result in ugly text with current/previous
packages which are not written under this assumption.

Also, there's the old discussion of which markup to use (mostly Org or
markdown).

        Stefan