Re: etc/HELLO markup etc. (Was: 27.0.50; Use utf-8 is all our Elisp file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO markup etc. (Was: 27.0.50; Use utf-8 is all our Elisp files)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 09:56:25 +0200

> From: "Eric Lindblad" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 02:19:47 +0100
>
> Would there be any sympathy to adding a link to this webpage in the etc/HELLO
> file?
>
> See also: UTF-8 SAMPLER
> http://kermitproject.org/utf8.html

Thanks, I looked at that file when I added a few scripts to HELLO.

The goals of that file are different from what we try doing in HELLO.
Our goal is to show the different scripts, not different languages or
fonts.  For that reason, many languages are absent from HELLO if they
use the same scripts which are already present in the file (for other
languages).  IOW, the different languages in HELLO are just the means
to a certain end: we need a language using a script to say "hello" for
that script.