Re: bidi, hebrew: files may need to be utf-8 with a byte order mark

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi, hebrew: files may need to be utf-8 with a byte order mark
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 22:26:29 +0200

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 20:49:40 +0100
>
>    > I don't think I understand the question.  If you ask whether Emacs
>    > supports UTF-8 encoding with BOM, then the answer is yes: see
>    > coding-system utf-8-with-signature.  Emacs has supported this since
>    > long ago, not just on master.  But this has no direct relation to
>    > bidi.
>
> Well I just included the remark from the keyman project. So BOM means
> byte order mark, I presume and as I understand GNU emacs supports it.
>
> I recall some time ago some specific issue of the hebrew or better bidi
> implementation, like some missing feature which was only included
> recently (by this I mean ~25 or later. I call it recently since Ubuntu
> still ships officially GNU emacs 24).

If you mean support for changes introduced in Unicode 6.3, then Emacs
supports that since v25.1.  But again, what does that have to do with
keyboard layouts?

> I also thought that BOM is related to bidi

No, it is related to automatic detection of the platform's endianness
i.e. big-endian vs little-endian.

> BTW is that a BOM ‏?
> (insert-char 8207 1 t)

No, the BOM is 0xFEFF, which is 65279 decimal.