Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:31:14 -0800

On 1/10/19 5:03 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
The current philosophy is "omit things that aren't relevant".

Sure, but the question is "What's relevant?" and the answer depends on the audience. For example, .gitignore is relevant to anybody who checks a tarball's files into a fresh Git repository, and msdos/autogen is relevant to anybody who does serious development on MS-DOS regardless of whether they're using Git. For each of the nondistributed source files, one can make a case that the file is relevant in some cases.

A simple answer to "What's relevant?" is "every source file that's in the repository, plus all files generated by 'make' that are useful on all platforms". This answer would mean that all the files I mentioned should be in the distribution tarball. If the answer to "What's relevant?" is something else, then (a) I'm not sure what the answer is and (b) whatever the answer is, it's likely complicated and that complexity has a maintenance cost.