Re: How to get information of a tip created by x-show-tip

From: Feng Shu
Subject: Re: How to get information of a tip created by x-show-tip
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:06:36 +0800

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> I want to get a tip's information created by x-show-tip, for
>> example: width, height, x and y
>>
>> but I fail to find the way, anyone can help me?
>
> We have invested some efforts to hide information about the tooltip
> implementation.  The major reason was to protect our own routines from
> operating on tooltip frames and windows.  Compare, for example,
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-02/msg00694.html
>
> From there you can see that the return value of 'visible-frame-list'
> and the 'tooltip' frame paramter can give you the current tooltip
> frame if it is visible and native (that is created by Emacs itself).
> The size and position paramters of that frame should give you the
> values you cited above.

I use the following code to test, but failure
1. width and height parameter do not work
2. I can find any frame with 'tooltip parameter

```
(setq tooltip-reuse-hidden-frame t)
(setq x-gtk-use-system-tooltips nil)

(progn
  (x-show-tip "this is a test"
                      (selected-frame)
              '((name . "tooltip1")
                (internal-border-width . 2)
                (left . 200)
                (top . 300)
                (width . 200)
                (height . 600)
                (border-width . 1)
                (no-special-glyphs . t))
              100 0 0)
  (dolist (frame (visible-frame-list))
    (princ (frame-parameter frame 'tooltip))))

```