Re: Help using the right hook for loading theme on emacs daemon GUI

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help using the right hook for loading theme on emacs daemon GUI
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 09:13:39 +0200

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:16:58 +1300
> From: Phil Sainty <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I was already thinking that the `after-make-frame-functions' docstring
> could use some additional information (it seems to be a common point
> of confusion when people start using --daemon); and even more so given
> this new wrinkle.

Feel free to improve the docstring.  The existing one is really
minimal.

> >    Note that any functions added to these hooks by your initial file
> > are
> > usually not run for the initial frame, since Emacs reads the initial
> > file only after creating that frame.  However, if the initial frame is
> > specified to use a separate minibuffer frame (*note Minibuffers and
> > Frames::), the functions will be run for both, the minibuffer-less and
> > the minibuffer frame.
>
> (As a tangent, the terminology "initial file" instead of the more
> common "init file" is a little jarring.

I think it's a simple typo.  Someone, perhaps even myself, was using
"M-/" to minimize typing, and it picked up the wrong expansion.

> The info node should be updated to cover the new behaviour in 27, and
> I suggest that the docstrings ought to provide a clear pointer to the
> info node as being very important reading regarding when the hooks do
> and do not run.  I think the docstrings should possibly also replicate
> or summarise some of that information; but just ensuring that readers
> know there are additional subtleties to understand, and where to read
> about them, would be good enough.

Feel free to make the documentation better, by all means.  It is
usually hard to spot places in the manuals that need to be updated
because they are indirectly related to some change, without explicitly
referring to the symbols involved in the change.  So such inaccuracies
are usually discovered only when we proofread the manuals in
preparation for a release.  Which is why having such a proofreading
step is important.

Thanks.