Re: Finding the dump

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:25:01 -0800

On 1/27/19 12:12 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Jan 27 2019, "Daniel Colascione" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 27 2019, "Daniel Colascione" <address@hidden> wrote:

There's some confusion on this thread. argv[0] *is* reliable

Nope.  The caller can set argv[0] to any string.  It is in not required
to be related to the name of the executable in any way.

Sure, but such callers are holding it wrong. If you set argv[0] to some
random string unrelated to Emacs, you break startup. That's fine.

No, emacs should not depend on the contents on argv[0].  There is no
need to do that.

Why not? Plenty of other programs do. Looking at realpath(argv[0]) is what _everyone_ does.

Besides, don't we already depend on it for executing out of the build directory? _After installation_ we can just look in our data directory, but if I've just built Emacs and run it our of the source directory through some random symlink, how else are we supposed to find it?