Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:53:58 -0800

On 1/29/19 10:47 AM, João Távora wrote:
Hello Eli and Daniel,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 5:54 PM Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:
Making this 'face property on random symbols special is bad design. It
affects only flymake *as far we know*, but that could be ignorance or
blind luck. Emacs shouldn't be using high-collision-probability names on
arbitrary symbols for internal purposes when other options are available.

Are you saying that no facilities in Emacs should reserve global
symbols for their own implementation details?  If so I agree, it is bad
design.

Yeah. With respect to plists, it's okay to attach public symbols to private plists, and it's okay to put private symbols on public plists, but putting public symbols on public plists is creating a bug machine.