Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how many lines it deleted)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:36:50 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 22:27:36 -0500
>
> That is quite true.  However, I recommend a different approach to
> doing the job.  An incremental one.
>
> Let's install the lookup code and make `message' call it -- not using
> advice.  Perhaps we should rewrite it into C, since it is short
> and we will want to call it from C code.
>
> Let's develop something to load translations from po files.  Let's
> develop software to generate and write lists of messages that need
> translating.
>
> Then people can start developing useful sets of translations.
>
> Meanwhile, we can also hook it into other interfaces where it
> appropriate.

The incremental approach is a great approach, but it does have its
limitations.  Especially when several non-trivial features will
eventually need to be compatible with each other to be true parts of a
greater whole, which is i18n for Emacs.

For example, it is IMO pointless to be able to display translated
strings from 'message' without also having a convenient automated way
of collecting translatable messages and creating a message catalog
that such a 'message' could use, or without being able to install
such message catalogs for different ELisp packages.

IOW, this feature, like many other large features, cannot be
implemented in increments that are too small.  Each increment should
be large enough to make sense.  And then there's a more complex issue
of how the increments will work together; some thought must be
invested in that up front.