Re: Emacs i18n

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 11:47:18 -0800

On 3/6/19 10:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> even if
> we do decide to attack the 'message' part first, we should consider
> the doc strings as well

Absolutely. In some sense doc strings should be easier, since we
shouldn't need to make changes to existing code; all we need to do is
add some infrastructure that puts doc strings into a .po file and that
translates them when people ask for documentation.

>  . Do we use a separate message catalog for each Lisp package, or a
>    single catalog for all of Emacs?

We can start with a single catalog that handles core Emacs; we'll need
to do that anyway. We can deal with packages later.

>  . How to specify which target language to use?  The locale is not
>    necessarily correct, e.g., when editing with Tramp.  Also, since
>    translating all of Emacs is such a humongous job, it's quite
>    possible that some languages will have little or no translations,
>    and the respective users might want to use translations for a
>    "fallback" language, which they prefer to English.

It should be easy for Emacs users to specify a preferred locale for
messages, independently of what the system locale. Similarly, they can
specify a preferred fallback locale. All this is relatively easy to do
at the C level.

>  . Many user-facing text messages include portions that we generate
>    directly from symbol names, which are of course in English.  We
>    should have some idea for how to deal with that.

We start by leaving them as English, as that's easier. We can get
fancier later, if there's need.

The bottom line is that we don't need to have a complete solution in
order to start working on this.