Re: No docstring slot for pcase--make-docstring

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: No docstring slot for pcase--make-docstring
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 01:23:35 -0500

>> Finding pointers to doc strings...
>> No docstring slot for pcase--make-docstring
>> Finding pointers to doc strings...done

I wonder why we get this message.  AFAICT this message comes from
Snarf-documentation, but since pcase--make-docstring doesn't have
a docstring, it shouldn't appear in etc/DOC and hence shouldn't be
touched by Snarf-documentation.

...Oh, I see that the autoload does have a "dummy" docstring providing
the name of the arguments (tho here there are none, so it's really
silly) and for that reason pcase--make-docstring does appear in etc/DOC.

> (put 'pcase 'function-documentation
>      '(progn (require 'pcase) (pcase--make-docstring)))

The warning is definitely harmless here (especially since AFAICT it only
appears when dumping `bootstrap-emacs` and not for the real `emacs`), so
this is not needed.  Maybe we should fix the autoload to not have
a docstring, OTOH?  Or maybe we shouldn't bother to Snarf-documentation
for bootstrap-emacs?

        Stefan