Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:02:57 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm now using option 1 and set the visual-file-name-abbrev overlay
>> property which I'm using to know which overlays are mine to (random)
>> instead of just t on the current and the last file name point was one
>> in a post-command-hook function.
>
> Another option might be to use cursor-sensor-mode to open/close those
> abbreviations.

Hm, that also sounds good.  Is cursor-sensor-functions only a text
property or can I also add that to my overlay?

I guess I could change my code so that only those file names get an
overlay where all predicates are satisfied (abbrev shorter or visually
shorter than file name), and handle the uncollapsing using
cursor-sensor-mode.  Then I would't need a conditional display spec at
all.

How'd I do the uncollapsing in my cursor-sensor-function?  Delete the
overlay on 'entered and add it again on 'left?

>> Other than that, do you think it's ok to add this package to ELPA?
>
> Yes, tho please try and change the naming to follow GNU's convention
> w.r.t to "path vs filename".

Yes, I've already changed it to speak of filenames everywhere.

>> If so, is the (C) FSF and "This file is part of GNU Emacs" correct for
>> an ELPA(-only) package?
>
> Yes, thank you.

Ok, great.  Then I'll commit it as soon as I've tried out
cursor-sensor-mode and decided if that's a better approach.

Bye,
Tassilo