Re: Emacs i18n

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 11:44:09 +0900

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 5:11, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 00:11:24 +0900
>>
>>> Extraction is just a technicality, it can be done in either of several
>>> possible ways.
>>
>> Sure. I just meant that l10n issues (is PO "efficiency", etc.) are already
>> solved, but i18n in general has to be implemented from scratch.
>
> No sure I understand: what part(s) we would need to implement from scratch?
> We already have the capability of inserting arbitrary non-ASCII text into any
> buffer and displaying such text as echo area messages.

What I mean by "from scratch" is that we have the possibility to extract text
and insert text, but i18n is inexistant in emacs. So we have to build an i18n
system that works for emacs and that does not exist yet, at all.

Also, the "how to load catalogs on demand" point that you mention below is part
of i18n and as you seem to say has to be developed from scratch.

>>> and (b) how to arrange the message catalogs so that they will be easy to
>>> maintain and update, given the modular nature of Emacs.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean in "how to arrange ..." Do you mean: how to
>> provide the l10n packages to translator communities ?
>
> No, I mean how many catalogs should we have and what should be their
> granularity.

Isn't that related to the below item ?

> Also, how to merge several catalogs (the need for this might disappear if,
> for example, we decide that each .el file will have its own catalog),

Won't this depend on the extracting tool's options ? And wouldn't that be more
practical in the first place to not merge anything but have one catalog per .el
file ? (practical in terms of translation/testing/management, as far as I can
tell from experience, etc.)

> and how to load catalogs on demand when the corresponding code is
> loaded/executed.

I guess you mean the technicalities involved in the obvious (?) "we check the
user preferred locale and display the catalog corresponding to that locale" ?

>> Can't we start with a survey of the strings we want extracted in a given
>> number of emacs core packages ?
>
> How would such a survey help us?  We generally want all of the strings that
> are displayed to the user translated.  We don't need any survey for that
> decision.

Of course, but a survey (sorry, I don't have a better word) of a few packages
can help us see the workload, build prototypes, test them, establish best
practices for developers, etc.

Jean-Christophe Helary