Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipu

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipulation
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:52:31 +0100

    >> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019
    >> 23:38:24 -0400 Cc: address@hidden,
    >> address@hidden
    >>
    >> > The changes I am suggesting would (eventually when finished)
    >> produce two > tar balls "emacs" and "emacs-with-elpa". The
    >> latter would come with > additional ELPA packages; it would
    >> only be generated with a configure > option but, of course, to
    >> build in this way would require access to > those ELPA
    >> packages. To build only the former would not require access >
    >> to those ELPA packages.
    >>
    >> That's not unreasonable.  I'm not arguing against that.

    Eli> I will note that this is going where XEmacs was before, and I
    Eli> don't think the result was encouraging, FWIW.

Back when I still used XEmacs, downloading the 'sumo' tarball with all
the packages was the second step Iʼd perform after downloading the
sources, so in practice splitting them out didnʼt do much for me. OTOH
I donʼt think XEmacs ever had anything like elpa.

BTW, I may have missed part of the discussion, but why do we need two
tar balls? Could we not just have a 'download a bunch of elpa
packages' elisp function instead? [1] (Iʼll note that I essentially do
this manually for things like org-mode which are in core and elpa).

Robert

Footnotes:
[1]  Iʼm spoiled: Iʼm rarely without an Internet connection