Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 21:43:20 -0400

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> I can't help but feel that the mentions of Savannah in this thread are
> disingenuous. After registering there, adding an ssh key and sending
> the membership request for the emacs project, I never went back there,
> or used it for anything else. This is, I suspect, the case for many
> other contributors as well.

Everyone uses Savannah every time they push or pull a commit to/from
Emacs, or reads the diff list, or looks at cgit. We rely on the Savannah
hackers to maintain a secure, reliable, and robust repository. There are
issues of authentication, managing user accounts, keeping the system
up-to-date, security, scaling, managing the web server, backups, etc, to
deal with. I think they have done a great job for years.

This was true in the Bazaar days, and CVS before. I can't remember a
time when the Emacs developers have ever managed their own repository.
I wouldn't like that responsibility.

(I assume non-self-hosted gitlab is a non-starter as per
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html )

I would hope a hypothetical self-hosted gitlab, if acceptable, would be
open to all GNU projects, as Savannah is. Even if not, it's still a big
and ongoing job to be responsible for such a system.