font-lock-mode limitations

From: Aurel Buche
Subject: font-lock-mode limitations
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:11:02 +0000

Hi,

I am working for a company that uses a proprietary Scheme based language
The language has a rich API and its own conventions, so I created a new major mode but I am struggling with fontification:

I have elisp functions to fetch all documented functions and user-defined functions from my code and add them properly to font-lock-defaults (using regexp-opt)

Everything was working fine while I was fetching keywords from a very limited number of modules. But now I am using more of them and I have hundreds (maybe thousands) of keywords to highlights. Now that I added more functions to font-lock-defaults nothing is highlighted anymore.

I really need to add those modules and I definitely require fontification as I am too used to it.
I don't want to replace keywords with more global regular expressions as it is really helpful to have keywords highlighted only when they are written properly

I took a quick glimpse at font-core.el and font-lock.el but I could not find where the regexp match limitations are set

Do you have a solution or an idea to increase the limits of keywords that can be matched by font-lock-mode ?

I would be extremely grateful if you can help me

Regards,

Aurélien Buchet