Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: relint (ex-trawl)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: relint (ex-trawl)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 07:52:40 +0200

> From: Mattias Engdegård <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 21:30:21 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > If relint will be part of "make check", I think we'd want it in the
> > Emacs repository (only there or in addition to ELPA), so that one
> > could run the full test suite even when off-line.
>
> Then xr would have to be moved into the Emacs tree as well, since relint
> requires that package.

That'd be fine with me.

> Just to clarify, since you mentioned "off-line": I do not propose any build
> step that would fetch anything over the network. An optional 'make check'
> step would not, I though, be different from optional libraries used in the
> build.

My point is that "make check" is supposed to be an integral part of
any serious build of a program, including Emacs.  Whenever I build
Emacs for the first time on some machine, I always run the test suite.

I have a frequent use case whereby I need to work on systems that are
physically disconnected from the Internet (connected only to an
intra-enterprise network), and so having a package required for
testing that can only be downloaded from the Internet is a nuisance in
those cases.  When/if we have an arrangement that some of the ELPA
packages get tarred into a release tarball, this issue will all but
disappear for me, but we are not there yet, we are only discussing
whether and how to do that.

Thanks.