Re: What is the proper way to scale fringe-bitmaps for high-DPI displays

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to scale fringe-bitmaps for high-DPI displays?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:24:44 +0200

On 20.03.2019 19:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Instead, I think when a frame is created, we should record its
high-DPI state in the frame structure, or maybe in the frame's
parameters, and then use that when we prepare the fringe bitmaps for
display.

I'm all for scaling the standard bitmaps (question mark, etc), but there are also bitmaps that don't need scaling. Such as the ones diff-hl makes dynamically, depending on the current width of the fringe. We could use the hidpi as a hint e.g. to draw thicker lines, but a proportional scaling won't do in that case.

Just wanted to point that out. So a way to opt out of scaling would be nice, at least.