Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 21:00:15 +0200

> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:45:44 +0100
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >It would indeed be interesting to have a comparison table of features
> >in one place.  Then we could try to figure out what we want to
> >support.  I'm guessing no single tool in its current form will do.
> >
> The comparison already exist; independently of how accurate it is. There
> is a link in the global's page:
>
> https://github.com/oracle/opengrok/wiki/Comparison-with-Similar-Tools

That doesn't sound too useful to me (does "ctags" there allude to our
etags?), e.g. it doesn't say which languages are supported.  And I'm
not really sure I understand how that comparison will help you in
your quest.

> The other point is that in case of using tramp it is theoretically
> possible to use a remote tags file with the local executable but I am
> not "lispy" enough yet to implement such a thing myself from scratch.

Doesn't visit-tags-table support remote file names?  If it does, you
just visit TAGS that lives on the remote machine, and then the
"normal" etags commands will just work.