Re: Emacs i18n

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 21:43:56 -0400

  > Right, and pretty much the only part of grammar that is useful for
  > software UI localization is the grammatical number, because that is
  > the only thing that changes by circumstances outside the control of
  > the code. It just does not happen that the same message would put a
  > noun in different cases, or a verb in different tenses, depending on
  > the value of some expression.

That's how I thought it would be.  That's why I proposed a construct
russian-nom that would decline a noun that's meant to be in the
nominative case.  There could be other such constructs for other cases,
those that are used often enough in messages to be worth the trouble,
and maybe different ones for adjectives, if that is worth the trouble.

If translators don't find these more convenient, they won't have to
use these.  I don't see any sense in ruling them out without giving
them a try.

--
Dr Richard Stallman