Re: [ELPA] New package: smalltalk-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: smalltalk-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 17:57:14 +0200

> From: Derek Zhou <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 22:59:10 +0800
>
> smalltalk-mode is the emacs editing mode for GNU smalltalk. Attached is
> the version copied verbatim from GNU smalltalk current git HEAD, last
> commit is:
> commit 8141da457870e24b0e04684213637b7c4435a2a5
> Author: Wilfred Hughes <address@hidden>
> Date:   Wed Nov 29 21:22:34 2017 +0000
>
> GNU smalltalk itself is copyrighted by FSF, so I think it is qualified
> to be included in the ELPA. If the format need changing please let me
> know.
>
> ;;; smalltalk-mode.el --- Major mode for the Smalltalk programming language
>
> ;; Author: Steve Byrne
> ;; Version: 3.2.92
> ;; Copyright 1988-92, 1994-95, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009
> ;; Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> ;; This file is part of GNU Smalltalk.
>
> ;; GNU Smalltalk is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> ;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
> ;; Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
> ;; version.
>
> ;; GNU Smalltalk is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> ;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
> ;; or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License
> ;; for more details.
>
> ;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
> ;; with GNU Smalltalk; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free
> ;; Software Foundation, 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
> 02110-1301, USA.

Not sure what this all means from the legal POV.  Lately, Richard
asked us to make sure people who contribute code to ELPA and have
copyright assignments for Emacs to say clearly that they contribute
the code for Emacs, in order for the assignment to be effective.

OTOH, you are saying this is part of GNU Smalltalk, which has separate
assignments.

On the third hand, I'm not sure who should be the author of the
commit, should we decide to put this on ELPA.

Richard, can you please advise?

Thanmks.