Re: Emacs i18n

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 18:11:16 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 15:31:14 -0700
> Cc: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> 2. While you're thinking about (1) here are some other questions. How
> will ngettext determine the message catalog? Is the catalog visible to
> users as a global variable, or as a hidden part of the global state, or
> is it something explicit? How will catalogs from multiple packages be
> used? How would a multi-lingual application work in Emacs if the message
> catalog is part of global state? This seems to be a crucial issue, I'd
> say. For example, should Emacs export dcngettext to Lisp code, instead
> of just plain ngettext? (Emacs could then define ngettext in terms of
> dcngettext.)

Do we have any reasons not to follow the CLISP example of factoring
these issues?

> 5. When calling the C-level ngettext, strings are not properly recoded.

Did you mean decoding the translated string that ngettext returns?  If
so, we will need some way of getting at the encoding of the strings in
the catalog, I think.  Or will we mandate that Emacs catalogs need
always to be in UTF-8 encoding?