Re: TRAMP VC optimization fails: non-TRAMP filenames handled incorrectly

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: TRAMP VC optimization fails: non-TRAMP filenames handled incorrectly in async operations.
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 16:55:21 +0100

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> I don't have a patch, but I'll see if I can figure out how to improve
> this.  I fear the situation is impossible, however, and that this
> attempt to improve the performance of `vc-registered` is doomed to
> failure unless an async protocol is defined to replace the current,
> synchronous, version.

Thanks for the very thourogh report, much appreciated! I will check in
parallel to you what could be done.

There exists a branch in the git repo, "feature/tramp-thread-safe". This
could solve the issue, if "async", as you've said, means Emacs
threads. Tramp uses mutexes, which should protect its
asynchrosity. However, the work on this branch is stalled due to serious
problems I'm not able to solve myself.

If you mean something else with "async", then we need even another approach.

Best regards, Michael.