Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 11:10:15 +0200

    Eli> The changes you made look fine to me.  Let's wait for more
    Eli> people to try the branch.

Iʼve just tried it.

- etc/NEWS says:

    Customize the buffer-local variables 'display-fill-column-indicator'

but M-x customize-variable doesnʼt know about
'display-fill-column-indicator'

- the manual talks about 'global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode', but
M-x doesnʼt  know about that function until I
    (require 'display-fill-column-indicator)
(this may be due to the way autoloads work in emacs. Thereʼs an entry
in ldefs-boot.el for it)

- the Commentary section in display-fill-column-indicator.el still
talks about line numbers, and appears truncated.

- when I turn it on, it chooses \u2502, which is not displayable by my
default font, but is displayable by a fallback font. I end up with
empty blocks at the end of each line. I can probably customize
'fill-column-face' to work around this, but Iʼd expect this to work by
default (either by using '|' or using the fallback font).

- in org-mode buffers the indicator is displayed as '['. This may be
related to the previous point (those buffers use yet a third font).

Robert