Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 14:44:58 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 11:10:15 +0200
>
> - the manual talks about 'global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode', but
> M-x doesnʼt  know about that function until I
>     (require 'display-fill-column-indicator)

I think your loaddefs.el is outdated, and/or you didn't rebuild Emacs
after updating loaddefs.el.

> (this may be due to the way autoloads work in emacs. Thereʼs an entry
> in ldefs-boot.el for it)

ldefs-boot.el is not used in a non-bootstrap build.

> - when I turn it on, it chooses \u2502, which is not displayable by my
> default font, but is displayable by a fallback font. I end up with
> empty blocks at the end of each line. I can probably customize
> 'fill-column-face' to work around this, but Iʼd expect this to work by
> default (either by using '|' or using the fallback font).

Is this in Emacs -Q or do you have some font or fontset
customizations?  If the latter, please try in "emacs -Q", and if that
works, please tell what customizations defeats that.