Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 16:43:29 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> What you can do is create a Tramp package on elpa.git and push releases
> there (complete with the pre-built auxiliary files).  This is what
> AUCTeX does, basically (where the files that would ideally be
> auto-generated during packaging are instead stored in the elpa.git
> repository after making them manually).

auctex is an external package. We discussed this already, the Tramp
repository layout does not fit the requirements of a package archive.

I believe I will upload regularly a generated Tramp package archive to
<https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tramp/elpa>, plus a proper archive-contents
file, and announe this as Tramp ELPA. Once it is possible to distribute
Tramp via GNU ELPA I'll switch happily.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.