Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 20:59:36 +0200

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 17:20:14 +0200
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

In the first one I extended the conditions for the character
selection. It is not perfect for the reasons we have exposed, but in the
mean time it will work for no very fancy conditions until we agree if we
should use | or find a better solution because I don't like that one :(,
it looks too ugly by default.

I agree.

In the last commit I removed the Qfoo symbols which seems to fix the
customize-variable issue.

I also removed the variables from frame.el because it seems they were
not needed when I followed the procedure.

Assuming you bound the command to change the variables to a simple
key, like F5, that's fine.  "M-x set-variable", for example, won't do,
because it activates the minibuffer, and that triggers a thorough
redisplay.

That's right I double check and there was an error in the corrections, I
just fixed.

I am wondering if there is a way to put conditionals there, because the
redisplay needs to be triggered only if one of the variables is already
non-nil and we need to redisplay if we change fill-column only if
display-fill-column-indicator-column is t. Similar thing should happen
for display-line-numbers right?

I am wondering why in display-line-numbers the symbols are needed and
the inclusion in frame.el, but not for display-fill-column-indicator if
they are implemented in a so similar way.

Whats the internal criteria for that? Some code to read?

I just followed the procedure described there, AFAIR.
OK.