Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:28:45 -0700

On 4/13/19 7:52 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
Achim Gratz wrote:
You'll end up re-implementing years and years of autoconf experience and
probably badly.

The "years and years" of experience you're taking about is experience that is under my belt. I have been a reasonably major contributor to Autoconf and to all the Emacs configury code and I know how it works. I would not reimplement it badly.

The idea I have is basically the idea that you proposed in another email: do the obvious parallelizations with the current recipes. However, doing this under the aegis of Autoconf would be a mistake. Autoconf is essentially unmaintained now, and for good reason: it's a dead-end and nobody wants to deal with it.  We should be looking at migrating its good stuff (mostly shell+m4 recipes) to a better framework.

I could get behind an "autoconf3" (since autoconf is already at 2.x) that emphasized continuity with existing autoconf projects while, at the same time, generated better configure programs amenable to parallelization and caching. These configure programs could use make pretty easily, I'd think.