Re: About ./configure --cache-file (WAS: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mecha

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: About ./configure --cache-file (WAS: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 10:44:03 -0400

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 10:08, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you should try building with --with-gpm=no, and after than
> without this switch, i.e. without an explicit --with-gpm.

Works fine, I get

  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                  no

the first time, and

  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes

the second time, as expected. Why wouldn't you expect that to work?

> > So it seems that ./configure -C can cope with at least some flags being
> > changed between runs.
>
> I think you are just being lucky: configure always recomputes
> variables that are not cached yet.

If you pass --with-gpm=no, it skips the test so there's nothing to
cache anyway. As I mentioned earlier, so far I've found configuring
with gtk the only problematic flag, because it affects some other test
(the test for glib, if I recall correctly).