Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 10:55:38 -0400

>> > Paul, I think this discussion pointed out that there are no advantages
>> > to your change, while it does have disadvantages.
>> Hmm... it does have the advantage of speeding up compilation by
>> eliminating one `ld` call
> By how much?

I didn't bother to measure it, but I felt like it is a noticeable
difference in some of my use cases (because I sometimes noticed that
the make was stopped while linking temacs.in, and because it is also
often stopped while linking temacs).

> is it significant enough to countermand the disadvantages?

It all depends on your beliefs, not on technical issues, I think.

The fingerprint is not guaranteed foolproof when computed from the *.o
files and is not guaranteed foolproof when made from the temacs.in
file either.

Also the fingerprint is actually technically only needed to catch
misuses (when the user mistakenly uses a snapshot together with the wrong
emacs executable).

So it's a question of "how much work are we willing to do in order to
try and catch misuses".

Personally I appreciated the speed up, and found it to be worthwhile
compared to the slightly higher risk of not noticing a misuse.

But I'll let others choose which color we should choose for
this bikeshed.

        Stefan