Re: make check fails due to missing test directory

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: make check fails due to missing test directory
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 15:01:58 -0700

On 5/3/19 12:13 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> You need to download the test suite.  It is not part of the release
> tarball.  You can find it in the Emacs development repository.

Sure, but as his email suggests, it's better for 'make check' to succeed
when the set of tests is empty. That way, standardized build procedures
(like his) are more likely to do the right thing. I installed the patch
0001 (attached) into the master branch to do that.

We've talked before about distributing tests in the Emacs tarball -
which is what the GNU Codings Standards recommend and what pretty much
every other GNU package does - and this email suggests that now's a good
time to do that. Distributing tests adds about 2.5% to the size of the
compressed tarball, and nowadays that is a small price to pay for making
tests available to people building from a release tarball rather than a
Git clone. Proposed patch attached as patch 0002, and comments welcome.