Re: Removing assumption of unsigned long pixel values for colours

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Removing assumption of unsigned long pixel values for colours
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 05:29:50 +0300

> From: Alex Gramiak <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 13:49:30 -0600
>
> Sure, though I don't know what relevant information is missing; the goal
> of this thread was to determine if a certain change is suitable
> _assuming_ that such a backend is submitted with the change, and that
> the backend needs it (or rather finds it sufficiently useful). I just
> wanted to avoid having to implement the union scheme fully and having to
> revert it upon review. It turns out that it was good to post this, since
> I was assured that using the integral representation is good enough.

I wasn't saying that the question shouldn't have been asked.  I was
saying that, once the union idea was off the table, discussing
alternatives would be better delayed until the need for that is clear,
and that needs to see the clients of such alternatives.

> I can just restrict the colours to 8bpc in the meantime.

Thanks.  I think you could also assume 16 bpp on 64-bit hosts.