Re: [Emacs-diffs] master e0ee41d: Allow customizing the display of proje

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master e0ee41d: Allow customizing the display of project file names when reading
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 00:11:49 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 15.05.2019 20:46, Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:
>> Sorry if this has been discussed before, and maybe it's just me, but I
>> don't think it makes sense to offer internal double hyphen functions as
>> alternatives for a user option, let alone to point the user to such an
>> internal function which lacks a docstring, "for the argument list".
>
> No, we never discussed this in particular. So I pushed the cleanest version
> that
> made sense to me.

I'm grateful for the addition, but I think user options ought to also
make sense to the user.

> Do we not do that (put internal functions as possible values of a user
> option)?

Sorry, the emphasis in my last message was meant to be on the lack of
any description of the user option's arglist.  If the defcustom is to
refer the user elsewhere, that place might at least have a docstring.

Though I don't understand why the user would be presented with internal
functions as options (it makes it harder to distinguish internal from
external definitions and APIs), I don't feel strongly enough about it to
argue against it.

Thanks,

--
Basil