Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 15:05:04 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>>> Why can't you take that package archive's content, put it in a Git
>>> branch and push that to elpa.git?
>>
>> I've tried it. I've created a branch 'elpa' in the Tramp repository, and
>> in this branch I've moved lisp/*.el to the root of the repository (via
>> git mv). Committed this change. Then I've changed something in tramp.el,
>> and tried to merge the master and elpa branches. The repository layout
>> (i.e., where the *.el files are located) is merged as well. Not what I want.
>
> Indeed, despite Git proponent's optimism, Git doesn't deal very well
> with files that have moved, so you can't "git merge" into that
> "archive-only" branch.  Instead you need to treat it like a "tarball",
> not a branch.  I.e. instead of
>
>     git merge master
>
> you want to use something like:
>
>     cp ../master/lisp/*.el ./
>     make
>     git commit
>
> Of course, I'd prefer we fix the elpa.gnu.org scripts so they can run
> the "make" themselves, which would solve this problem more cleanly.

Well, in order to make progress, I've created an orphaned branch in the
Tramp repository, as suggested by Glenn. It counts Tramp in version 0,
that we can still test.

Could you, pls, add this as external branch to elpa? The URL is

 ("tramp"               :external
"https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/tramp.git/?h=tramp-elpa";)

I hope to release this via ELPA in parallel to the next Tramp 2.4.2
release, which is planned roughly at the end of June.

>> And as I said already, a manual merge (diffing all *.el files, and
>> applying the changes) is not an option for me, because I must sync three
>> different repositories manually then.
>
> I had no intention to suggest manual merges, indeed.

I hope a script will do.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.