Re: Improving aesthetics & readability of backquote

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: Improving aesthetics & readability of backquote
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 12:06:17 +1000

On Tue, May 21 2019, Richard Stallman wrote:
Backquote is a well-known construct, a de-facto standard since over 40 years ago. For a while, backquote in Emacs Lisp was incompatible with the standard, because I was trying to keep the code small. But in the
90s we changed Emacs Lisp to fit the standard.

To change it is unthinkable.

I'm not suggesting to change it, in the sense I take that you mean as unthinkable, i.e. that change means doing away with the existing implementation. I'm only suggesting to give people (particularly those new to Emacs) the freedom to choose a more literal syntax that fits with the aesthetics of the surrounding code.

This is not dissimilar to the aforementioned rx library. Like the backquote construct, regular expression is an efficient but cryptic syntax, and rx gives people the freedom to choose a more literal syntax (which also fits with the aesthetics of the surrounding code) if they find the real syntax too cryptic and scary. They can use it like training wheels before switching to the real syntax (which was my introduction to regular expressions). This is all I'm suggesting -- free software giving people freedom, rather than adhering to the preferences of someone 40 years ago.

Given that at least annually there's a huge thread on the mailing list or elsewhere about how Emacs is fading into irrelevance (!) and the dire need to attract more users (!), I think it's worthwhile really trying to look at things from the perspective of new users -- backquote may well be a 40-year-old standard, but before learning Emacs Lisp, I'd never heard of it, and I assume most people are the same.

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com