Re: Replace XChar2b with unsigned in all font backends

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Replace XChar2b with unsigned in all font backends
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 09:00:55 +0100

On May 20, 2019 11:52:30 PM GMT+01:00, Andy Moreton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon 20 May 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > On May 20, 2019 7:29:34 PM GMT+01:00, Andy Moreton
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Please revert this patch to fix the build on master, and then
> revisit
> >> these changes after that.
> >>
> >  You ask to revert because you don't think there's a way of fixing
> this without reverting?  Or fof some other reason?
>
> The first order of business is to restore master to a usable state.
> After that, any amount of time can be taken to revise the non-working
> patch into something that does not cause the regression.
>
> "Don't break the build" is an important rule. A recent Rx patch was
> reverted by its author because it broke bootstrapping, and then a
> revised version added later after the problem with the original patch
> had been fixed. Why should this patch be any different ?
>
>     AndyM

We are miscommunicating, I think.  I didn't mean the problem shouldn't be
resolved ASAP, I meant it should be resolved by fixing the fallout from that
commit rather then by reverting it.

One way of fixing that is by copying values from array of unsigned int to array
of unsigned short.  Maybe there are others, I'm currently away of the sources
and cannot say more.