Re: Declaring cl.el obsolete

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Declaring cl.el obsolete
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 10:28:03 -0400

>> > Maybe we should do this more gradually, like first deprecate it and
>> > print some kind of warning for it?
>> Isn't that what moving to lisp/obsolete/ does?
> Maybe.

I don't understand this "Maybe".

Moving a package to lisp/obsolete (which always comes with an
announcement in etc/NEWS) does two things, AFAICT:

- announce that this package is officially deprecated.
- cause a warning to be emitted when the package is used.

IOW exactly what you say we should do "first", except maybe that we use
the term "obsoleted" instead of "deprecated".  So is the specific word
the source of your doubt?

        Stefan