Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 09:49:51 +0300

On June 3, 2019 7:07:22 AM GMT+03:00, "Óscar Fuentes" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I looked at Debian and Arch Linux package descpriptions and it
> seems
> >> that glib2 is a runtime dependency for providing GObject bindings.
> >> HarfBuzz can be compiled without glib2, but then those bindings are
> >> not
> >> available.
> >
> > AFAIK, GObject bindings are needed only for Pango, something that's
> > unlikely to be useful on Windows.
>
> Well, MSYS2 has Pango as a package. There are several other packages
> that depend on it.

Yes, and everybody else pays for that.  It might be educational to find out
which of those other packages actually need complex script shaping with
HarfBuzz, and cannot be satisfied by Uniscribe; I'm guessing zero.

That's what the "one fits all" methods always boil down to: 99.99% of users pay
for the needs of 0.01%.