Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 21:37:38 +0900

On Jun 6, 2019, at 19:12, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

On June 6, 2019 10:26:28 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> wrote:
I found on Stackoverflow that C-[ was pretty much hard-coded as ESC.
Why is that ?

https://superuser.com/questions/173851/linux-remap-ctrl-key

Also, there is no mention about that at all in the manual.

It isn't hardcoded in Emacs, it' "hardcoded" in the way the OS produces character codes when you type keys on the keyboard.  C-[ produces ESC for the same reason C-i produces TAB and C-j produces RET: these keys emit the same codes as the corresponding Ctrl sequences.

Yes but, in my other applications I do have the ability to use Ctrl+[ in a way that is not ESC. Like assign C-[ as a shortcut similarly to C-].

Is there a way to do the same in emacs ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune