Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:54:06 +0300

> From: Yuri D'Elia <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 17:33:27 +0200
>
> But as a side note: is this really that impactful to add a regular hook?

It's a feature creep that I would like to avoid.

> Surely this would (?) be run only for visible lines

No, that's not true.  The display code is also called for portions of
text that aren't going to be displayed, when Emacs needs to figure out
dimensions of some text or perform layout calculations without
displaying anything.  As just one example, vertical-motion, which is
at the core of any vertical motion command (C-n, C-p, etc.) does that.
Another popular example is posn-at-point.

> If you restrict to certain face properties such as face
> colors, you can ensure there's no change in width.

How can we justify support for only some faces?  This is the kind of a
slippery slope that I would like to avoid.  Too many display features
let users do stuff with unimaginable leeway, and we pay for that both
in performance and in maintainability.  I'm trying to avoid such
feature creep in this case, be that as un-emacsy as it might seem.